LOWER POTTSGROVE PA – Fourteen Montgomery County businesses – none located within the township – collectively owe the state more than $346,000 in delinquent taxes, the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue announced Friday (Dec. 12, 2008). They represent 6.8 percent of 205 companies deemed in arrears, and 5.3 percent of nearly $6.5 million owed, that the department hopes to publicly embarrass into payment.
“These businesses collected taxes from customers and employees but failed to send the money to the commonwealth,” acting Revenue Secretary Stephen Stetler said. So their names and locations were published on the department’s website because, he explained, public identification of tax delinquents can be a successful tax collection incentive.
The prospect of appearing on Pennsylvania’s list has helped convince delinquent taxpayers over the past two years to pay up $80.57 million in back sales or employment taxes, according to the department. Others started deferred payment plans for to pay off an additional $21.24 million. At least 21 other states, including Maryland, New Jersey and Virginia, publish Internet lists to help collect unpaid taxes.
Listed by the state as delinquent in Montgomery County, and the amounts owed, were:
- Crisman Hardwood Floorng Co. Inc., Pottstown PA, $84,615
- Bryn Mawr Flooring Inc., Conshohocken PA, $37,326
- Sun Valley Pizza, Narberth PA, $37,193
- Capel Industrial Risk Management Inc., Horsham PA, $27,438
- Sunrise Landscaping And Design, Flourtown PA, $23,140
- Montgomery Group Associates Inc., Montgomeryville PA, $22,418
- Seven Star Tropical Fish Inc., Fort Washington PA, $20,440
- S B Gossar Heating and AC Inc., Huntingdon Valley PA, $20,422
- Trans Global Inc., East Norriton PA, $17,918
- Creative Steps Inc., Elkins PA, $16,130
- Regina’s Mane Line Creations Inc., Wynnewood PA, $11,799
- Arena Services Inc., Norristown PA, $10,247
- Providence Square Lighting Gallery Inc., Collegeville PA, $10,043
- Flourtown Bakery Inc., Flourtown PA, $7,406
Photo by Paul Paladin via 123RF