POTTSTOWN PA – Helping youngsters to plan for their career, play in a band, and learn how to tell stories with video are among three of several projects sharing in $10,000 awarded in mini-grants by the Pottsgrove Eduction Foundation for cultural education and innovative teaching, Pottsgrove School District Superintendent Dr. Bradley Landis recently told the Board of School Directors.
Board members learned of the awards during their last public meeting (Sept. 28) in the administration building on Kauffman Road, but the list of grant winners was published Monday (Oct. 11, 2010) in the district’s “Pottsgrove Achiever” newsletter, according to spokeswoman Beth Trapani.
The foundation, created in 2000, is a non-profit organization that supports programs benefiting district students and residents.
District staff members who won mini-grants are:
- Sarah Stutzman, for “Visual Arts in a Digital World,” to integrate art and language arts in the art classroom;
- Kathy Williams, for “Band Instrument Recruitment,” an opportunity to supply used musical instruments to students who lack the resources to buy their own;
- Kristen Hyde, for “Music Performance, Composition, Assessment and More,” an opportunity for students to use technology to enhance and assess their musical performance, composition and improvisation skills;
- Christina Kleinfelter, for “Career and College Exploration for 8th Grade,” which provides eighth graders a chance to visit colleges and technical schools as they begin planning high school schedules;
- Deb McIlvain, for “Movie Making at PGMS,” to teach production of professional quality digital movies and how to apply the skills in content classes; and
- Elaine Armstrong, for Pottsgrove’s Reading Olympics program, to provide materials and registration for students to compete in the county-wide Reading Olympics.
Related (to the Pottsgrove Board of School Directors’ Sept. 28 meeting):
- Download a copy of minutes from the Sept. 28 meeting, approved Oct. 26
- Pottsgrove Foundation Announces Grant Awards
- Pottsgrove MS Retaining Wall Needs ‘Significant’ Repair
- Pottsgrove Considers ‘Impairing’ Teen Drivers, For Safety’s Sake
- Ringing Reimbursement On Pottsgrove School Agenda
Photo from Clipart.com