POTTSTOWN PA – A total of $979,879 in grants were awarded Friday (Feb. 25, 2011) by the Pottstown Area Health and Wellness Foundation to 32 projects submitted by local organizations and schools in concluding its Fall 2010 fundings, the foundation announced.
The recipients included three projects proposed by groups with offices in Lower Pottsgrove (PA) Township; one in Limerick; and 15 in or affecting Pottstown.
Formed with the proceeds of the multi-million dollar sale of Pottstown Memorial Medical Center to Community Health Systems of Tennessee, the foundation provides grant money to local schools and non-profit organizations across portions of western Montgomery, eastern Berks and northern Chester counties that offer programs which motivate people to adopt healthy lifestyles.
Awards totaling $267,075 were presented to 20 projects aimed at reducing behavioral health risks; $527,654 for three projects intended to improve access to medical services; $160,500 for six projects intended to enhance formal and informal supports; and $24,650 for three programs meant to improve physical and social environments.
“The grant applications submitted are innovative and consistent with our mission to enhance the health and wellness of area residents,” according to foundation Executive Director Dave Kraybill. Grants were awarded to:
In Lower Pottsgrove:
- Coventry Christian School, for the Keep ‘Em Moving enhancement of physical and education programs;
- Family Services of Montgomery County, Project HEARTH (Helping Elderly Remain In Their Homes);
- VNA Community Services Inc., Personal Navigator program with expanded legal support services.
- Blessed Teresa of Calcutta Parish, for its physical education and health program.
- Child, Home and Community, for Pottstown adolescent prenatal, parenting and support;
- Pottstown Area Seniors’ Center, Enhancing Prime Time Health;
- Pottstown Area Seniors’ Center, Save Our Collaboration;
- Pottstown Family Center, Expanded Food and Nutrition Education Program;
- Pottstown Karate Club, Level 1 cross-fit certifications;
- Pottstown School District, wellness campaign with Pottstown Community TV;
- Schuylkill River Greenway Association, Bike Pottstown program;
- St. Aloysius School, Steps to a Healthier You fitness and nutrition program;
- Community Health and Dental Care, Inc., community-based health care center sustainability;
- Montgomery County Community College, Dental Sealant Day;
- Montgomery County Community College, Service Learning to Build the Capacity of Community-Based Non-profit Organizations Project;
- Freedom Valley YMCA, specialized aquatic wheelchairs;
- Pottstown Area Police Athletic League, PAL administrative and operating support;
- Pottstown Cluster of Religious Communities, capacity building initiative; and
- Pottstown Cluster of Religious Communities, walk-in freezer.
The foundation’s online community, Mission Healthy Living, provides area residents with information on how to lead a healthier life.