POTTSTOWN PA – A series of four different workshops for parents, intended to help them improve the academic success of their elementary school students, will be sponsored between Oct. 4 (2011) and Feb. 16 (2012) by the Pottsgrove School District at its three elementary schools – Lower Pottsgrove, West Pottsgrove and Ringing Rocks – the district announced Sunday (Sept. 4) by e-mail.
- Everyday Math Night, Oct. 4, 6:30-8 p.m. at West Pottsgrove, Grosstown Road, Stowe PA;
- Vocabulary Development, Oct. 10, 6:30-7:30 p.m. at Lower Pottsgrove, Buchert Road, Pottstown PA;
- Family Reading, Oct. 27, 6:30-8 p.m., at Lower Pottsgrove;
- Elementary Technology, Nov. 29, 6:30-8 p.m. at West Pottsgrove;
- Family Reading, Jan. 12 (2012), 6:30-7:30 p.m. at West Pottsgrove;
- Everyday Math Night, Jan. 25, 6:30-8 p.m., at Ringing Rocks, Kauffman Road, Pottstown PA; and
- Elementary Technology, Feb. 16, 6:30-8 p.m., at Lower Pottsgrove.
Children are welcome to attend, and child care will be offered at, the Nov. 29 event at West Pottsgrove and the Feb. 16 session at Lower Pottsgrove.
Vocabulary Development is planned for parents of children from birth through the elementary school years. It covers research that shows how vocabulary development is essential to closing the achievement gap, and provides strategies to build a strong vocabulary.
Family Reading provides an overview of important elements of reading. Parents will leave with a variety of activities to do with their children to provide practice in reading skills at each grade level.
Everyday Math Night will show parents how students find solutions to math problems.
Elementary Technology demonstrates what children learn during computer class in Pottsgrove’s kindergarten through fifth grade program, and includes a hands-on look at iPads and how students use them in the classroom now and in the future.
For more information on the sessions, call the district offices at 610-327-2277.