POTTSTOWN PA – Every firefighter from five area companies that responded Sunday afternoon (July 1, 2012) to a house fire at 1175 Ringing Rocks Park was treated for heat-related issues as they battled the blaze beneath a scorching summer sun that raised temperatures to almost 100 degrees, The (Pottstown PA) Mercury newspaper reported.
“Everybody out there had some sort of treatment done for dehydration, heat exhaustion or to take a break,” Lower Pottsgrove Township Fire Marshal Lew Babel told the newspaper. Ringing Hill and Sanatoga fire companies were assisted on the scene by Upper Pottsgrove, New Hanover and Pottstown fire companies, it reported.
The fire, which occurred at about 2:30 p.m., was said to have caused at least $100,000 in damage, and although it was not a total loss it was left uninhabitable. None of the home’s occupants were reported injured. An extension cord with an air conditioner unit plugged in to it apparently sparked the fire, Babel claimed.
- Read a story by reporter Brandie Kessler, titled “Fire Marshal: AC unit plugged into extension cord caused Ringing Rocks fire” and published Sunday by The Mercury, here.
Photo from Google Images