POTTSTOWN PA – The Montgomery County Intermediate Unit (MCIU) will send a bill for more than $30,000 to the Pottsgrove School District for services it intends to render during the 2013-14 academic year, and a majority of the district Board of School Directors agreed Tuesday (Jan. 2, 2013) to pay it.
To which Director Michael Neiffer asks, what services?
Neiffer was the sole opponent during board votes to approve four MCIU annual budgets. Pottsgrove is one of several county school districts that share in the costs of educational and other services the Norristown-based partnership provides.
“Historically, in my opinion, very little dialogue takes place both at the IU board level and at the local level for me to vote for it,” Neiffer – who previously represented the district at unit meetings – said Sunday (Jan. 27). “The director of the MCIU should be doing presentations to the local boards and then answering questions … Spending money without explaining exactly what you are using it for, and why, is not something I can vote for.”
MCIU by-laws require individual board votes on each of four budgets. Directors gave their overall OK to:
- A general administrative services budget of $1,029,068, which Pottsgrove Business Administrator David Nester said is funded by contributions from other funds at the unit. Pottsgrove makes no direct contribution to it;
- A curriculum instruction professional development services of $2,314,973, of which Pottsgrove will pay $1,406;
- A legislative services and grants development budget of $299,513, of which Pottsgrove will pay $3,571; and
- A technology and information services budget of $4,904,923, of which Pottsgrove will pay $26,007.
Pottsgrove’s MCIU contribution for 2013-2014 will total $30,984, Nester said. That’s about 9.3 percent higher than the amount paid for the current academic year. Also, those costs do not include the tens of thousands of dollars Pottsgrove pays MCIU annually for added services like special education.
Director Jodi Adams was absent from the meeting and did not vote.
Related (to the Pottsgrove Board of School Directors’ Jan. 22 meeting):
- Pottsgrove OKs 4 MCIU 2013-’14 Budgets, With Dissent
- Fund Balance An Early Guide In Pottsgrove Budget Talks
- The Superintendent Called, For Clarity and Accuracy
- Pottsgrove OKs $61 Million Preliminary Budget For ’13-’14
- Paper Alleges Pottsgrove Withholding Public Information
- Double Shock: Ambulance Bills Follow ‘Grove Evacuation
- Pottsgrove Considers New Administrative Appointments
Photo from the Montgomery County Intermediate Unit