SANATOGA PA – So you’re an entrepreneur. You’re interested in opening a business in the greater Pottstown area. And you’re looking to provide a much-needed, sure-fire service or product that’s bound to capture the public’s attention.
Bethesda MD-based TischlerBise, a fiscal, economic and planning consulting firm, has just the list of potential winners you want.
The company late last year issued a report commissioned for the Pottstown Metropolitan Regional Planning Commission, of which Lower Pottsgrove Township is a part, that identifies 35 different types of businesses the consultants claim are “under-represented” in Pottstown’s 19464 zip code. The list was included in materials distributed Thursday (March 21, 2013) during a presentation to the township Board of Commissioners by John Cover of the Montgomery County Planning Commission.
The businesses, listed in order of their North American Industry Classification System code numbers, are:
- New single-family general contractors,
- New housing operative builders,
- Plumbing, heating, and air conditioning contractors,
- Painting and wall-covering contractors,
- Tile and terrazzo contractors,
- Dental laboratories,
- Household appliance stores,
- Meat markets,
- Gasoline stations with convenience stores,
- Sporting good stores,
- Hobby, toy and game stores,
- Musical instrument and supply stores,
- Warehouse clubs and supercenters,
- Gift, novelty and souvenir shops,
- Pet and pet supplies stores,
- Art dealers,
- Commercial banking,
- Real estate credit,
- Portfolio management,
- Direct life insurance carriers,
- Insurance agencies and brokerages,
- Offices of real estate brokers and agents,
- Residential property managers,
- Offices of certified public accountants,
- Surveying and mapping (except geophysical) services,
- Process and logistics consulting services,
- Sports and recreation instruction,
- Freestanding ambulatory, surgical and emergency centers,
- Continuing care retirement communities,
- Services for the elderly and persons with disabilities,
- Cafeterias, grill buffets and buffets,
- Automotive oil change and lubrication shops,
- Dry-cleaning and laundry services (except coin operated), and
- Pet care (except veterinary) services.
Of course, several of these businesses exist now in greater Pottstown, but many you might readily identify are found outside the 19464 zip code. Remember, Pottstown also exists – for U.S. Postal Service purposes – in the 19465 zip code on the south side of the Schuylkill River.
Also, the list may in part be outdated because of changes within Pottstown itself during recent years. Some of the data on which the report is based is drawn from earlier Census Bureau statistics, when projects like the Wal-Mart supercenter on Pottstown’s west side were still in their planning stages.
Perhaps most importantly, however, the list represents TischlerBise’s best guess at what its report labels as “demand forecasting.” Given expectations of the area’s population growth and future demographics between now and 2030, the consultants think these 35 are the kinds of companies that will be in local demand within the next two decades.
Which type of business will be the biggest hit? Well, that’s up to you to determine. After all, you’re the entrepreneur.
Related (to the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners’ March 21 meeting):