Sanatoga Joins Haz Mat Responders In Gas Leak Report

NEW HANOVER PA – Firefighters from Sanatoga, New Hanover, Gilbertsville and other companies, and the Montgomery County hazardous materials unit, were called Monday morning (Dec. 2, 2013) to a home near the intersection of Sanatoga Road and Swamp Pike where an undetected gas leak or fumes apparently killed two pet birds and also may have caused two New Hanover responders to become ill.

Sanatoga Joins Haz Mat Responders In Gas Leak ReportBoth were taken to Pottstown Memorial Medical Center after they arrived on the scene and reported feeling nauseous and dizzy, according to reports from WFMZ-TV and The (Pottstown) Mercury newspaper. An update on their health status was unavailable Tuesday morning (Dec. 3).

The owner of a home in the 2500 block of Swamp Pike called 9-1-1 shortly after 10:30 a.m. to report the smell of gas in her home. Two large pet birds had died within recent days, she told firefighters upon their arrival, and added that she also was suffering from headaches and nausea, according to The Mercury’s story.

Firefighters used meters to check both inside and outside the property for gas leaks, but found nothing dangerous, the WFMZ story noted. It wasn’t long after the first team from New Hanover arrived, however, that the two firefighters said they felt ill. They were checked by paramedics, then taken to the hospital.

The homeowner declined treatment at the scene, Mercury reporter Eileen Faust wrote.

The news reports and the firefighters’ welfare were a cause for concern voiced during Monday night’s meeting of the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners. It was attended by Lower Pottsgrove Fire Marshal Lew Babel, who said he was awaiting details from Sanatoga Fire Company officers and promised a follow-up to incoming Manager Ed Wagner.

Photo from Google Images