POTTSTOWN PA – The National Weather Service has issued winter storm warnings that cover a broad area from the New Jersey shore west and north across Philadelphia and its surrounding counties and up through the Pocono Mountains. Consequently, here’s a rolling list of local closings and cancellations due to Thursday’s (Feb. 13, 2014) snow storm, as compiled from a variety of sources by The Post, with the most recent entries at top:
- A dud for suds Thursday in Collegeville. Appalachian Brewing Company there is closed.
- Not so at The Brick House restaurant on High Street at Hanover in Pottstown. At 11:10 a.m. it reported a “bacon and egg special” was on the morning menu.
- In the “you didn’t want to go into Philly anyway” department, this word from SEPTA at 11:16 a.m.: “Service on the Norristown High Speed Line has been suspended due to weather conditions.”
- If being in the house is driving you stir-crazy, Limerick Bowling Center has a suggestion. “Bowl your brains out” Thursday, it bragged on Facebook, and offers a special for the adventurous.
- They’re not just open Thursday at Giovanni’s Big Daddy’s Pizza in Lower Pottsgrove (the North End Shopping Center on North Charlotte Street. They’re also delivering pizza, the staff claimed on Facebook.
- Stuff you don’t know until a day like Thursday hits. PennDOT has a plowing schedule (see its graphic at right).
- The office at Pottstown’s Orchard Ridge Apartments office is closed. Residents there who have a maintenance emergency should call 610-970-6425 for the 24-hour emergency service. And, yes, its snow removal team is already hard at work, it said on Facebook.
- Lower Pottsgrove Sportsmen’s Association is closed Thursday, but on Facebook said it would be ready to celebrate Valentine’s Day Friday.
- PennDOT has reduced the speed limit on U.S. Route 422 to 45 mph.
- Hope you bought the healthy stuff early. Kimberton Whole Foods in Amity and Kimberton is closed Thursday.
- There goes the revenue! The Lower Pottsgrove Tax Office, regularly open for business Thursday, isn’t.
- No Boy Scouting Thursday, according to Cradle of Liberty Council BSA. Its Firestone Scouting Resource Center and Scout Shop are closed.
- Farmer’s Daughter Farm Market in Spring City, closed Thursday because of the snow, and probably Friday too, it said n Facebook, because of a family situation.
- Here’s a real reason to cry in your beer. Pottstown’s Sly Fox Brewhouse & Eatery will not be open Thursday, but its new menu will be available Friday, it proclaimed on Facebook.
- No cupcakes Thursday in Royersford, as ICED by Betsy is closed.
- Annamarie’s Restaurant in Royersford opened – yes, opened! – at 6:30 a.m. Don’t know how long they’ll be serving. “Hanging as long as we can,” the staff said on Facebook.
- Malvern Federal Savings Bank closed all its offices, including the one at Routes 23 and 100 south of Pottstown.
- “Due to this wacky weather,” retailer Coventry Corners said on Facebook, both its stores in Pottstown and Reading are closed.
- The Pottsgrove, Pottstown and Spring-Ford Area school districts, most private and parochial schools, and Montgomery County Community College campuses in Pottstown and Blue Bell, all have canceled classes Thursday and closed their buildings. Their administrative offices are closed. All practices and co-curricular events are postponed.
- States of snow emergency have been declared in Lower Pottsgrove, Limerick and North Coventry townships and the boroughs of Pottstown and Phoenixville. All residents are asked to stay at home and avoid driving so crews can plow and keep roads clear.
- Corropolese Bakery stores in Limerick and Norristown are closed.
- The (Pottstown PA) Mercury presses worked under an early deadline to get its newspaper out onto the street and into carriers hands’ sooner, it said on Facebook. As a result, it noted that some sports results, including coverage of the PAC-10 girls basketball championship game between Spring-Ford Area High School and Methacton High School, will not appear in the print editions but will be posted online.
- Diamond Credit Union, headquartered on Medical Drive in Lower Pottsgrove, decided to close all branch offices Thursday. That’s an update and re-think of its announcement Wednesday that it would delay opening all of its offices Thursday until noon.
- The Douglassville Veterinary Hospital is closed and does not anticipate reopening until Friday at 9 a.m.
- Art Fusion 19464 in Pottstown has canceled Thursday’s Teen Studio class, and said “students can come to any Saturday class to make it up.”
Don’t go out. But if you must travel, the Montgomery County Department of Public Safety issued a list of what should be packed into your car before leaving.
- The Chick-fil-A restaurant in Royersford will not open Thursday for breakfast, it said, and will decide later whether it opens for lunch or dinner either.
- The Pottstown-based YWCA TriCounty Area on King Street is closed Thursday.
- Anvil Welding & Fabrication LLC in Parkerford is closed Thursday, and has yet to announce its plans for Friday.
- Boneyard Joe’s Restaurant in Pottstown is closed Thursday.
- As of Wednesday night (Feb. 12), Phoenixville’s Colonial Theater continued to plan for its Thursday screening of the award-winning movie “Dallas Buyers Club.” “As long as we have power, we are here and open,” it said on Facebook. “This is the time we want to encourage our walkers to come on down and stay warm with us, while enjoying a good movie and our delicious movie theater popcorn.” Call before you go, though: 610-917-1228.
Photo from Google Images