POTTSTOWN PA – Expect the saxes to be wailin’. Someone’s sure to be pounding the ivories. And, for sure, the joint will be jumping tonight (Saturday, Feb. 22, 2014) as the Pottsgrove Jazz Festival gets under way at 5:30 p.m. in the auditorium of Pottsgrove High School, Kauffman Road.
Ten different area high school jazz bands will perform in this Cavalcade of Bands-sanctioned competition. The schedule includes the:
- Pottsgrove Middle School Jazz Band, 5:30 p.m.;
- Springfield High School Band, 6 p.m.;
- Spring-Ford High School Band, 6:25 p.m.;
- Hatboro-Horsham High School Jazz Band, 6:50 p.m.;
- Penn Woods High School Jazz Band, 7:15 p.m.;
- Springfield High School Jazz Band, 7:40 p.m.;
- Boyertown High School Jazz Band, 8:05 p.m.;
- Spring-Ford High School Jazz Band, 8:30 p.m.;
- Pottstown High School Jazz Band, 8:50 p.m.; and the
- Pottsgrove High School Jazz Band (in exhibition only), 9:20 p.m.
Cavalcade judges will be listening for what they deem to be the best saxophone, trumpet, trombone and rhythm section. Bands also will earn a rating of Superior, Outstanding, Excellent or Very Good. The Pottsgrove School District’s Music League describes the annual event as “a great event for long-time jazz lovers and newcomers to the genre!”
Tickets are available at the door. They cost $5 for adults, and $4 for students and senior citizens.
Thanks and a tip of The Post hat to Fred Remelius for sending this information
Photo from Google Images