POTTSTOWN PA – Improvements in the Pottsgrove School District administrative offices, adjacent to the high school on Kauffman Road, will cost about $450,000 as proposed by architects, with the bulk of the money earmarked for replacing its roof, flooring, and air handling system, and securing its lobby, the Board of School Directors learned Tuesday (March 11, 2014).
If approved, however, district leaders will end up waiting almost three years before they see much if any change in their surroundings, according to Director of Facilities and Physical Plants Michael Katzenmoyer. What he described as the “light construction” work there won’t occur until the last phase of an overall high school renovation, he said.
In a related development, board members Tuesday agreed to formally request contractor bids for the more than $30 million high school project, including the offices built in 1993.
Board members in previous meetings had asked for a more complete explanation of what administrators expected in the office fix-up. Among the highest-ticket items, Katzenmoyer said, were:
- Roofing replacement, $120,000,
- Flooring replacement, $109,000,
- Securing and reconfiguring the entrance lobby, $70,000, and
- Heating, ventilating and air conditioning replacements, $65,000.
Of immediate concern but far lower cost, Katzenmoyer added, were repairs to masonry and brick components above the office entrance. Already deteriorated over 21 years, they are now crumbling and delaminating as a result of this winter’s ice and brutally cold temperatures. Pieces of falling brick barely missed injuring Supervisor of Special Education Michelle Macluckie as she recently walked into the building, he reported.
Replacing the office carpet and other flooring was more a safety need than an aesthetic one, Katzenmoyer added. He showed photos of places where the carpet posed trip-and-fall hazards to the building’s 21 full-time employees and potential visitors. Duct tape, the handyman’s savior, temporarily sealed up tears and loose ends, he joked.
Changes in the lobby would reduce its size, bar intruders from gaining access to internal passages, and add a small conference room for confidential discussions. Open-air office dividers would be extended to the ceiling, also to reduce noise and increase privacy.
To ensure the reliability of the district’s main data frame, the room housing its computer systems – initially created for archival paper storage and outfitted with water sprinklers for fire suppression – would be refitted with electronics-friendly dry suppression equipment.
Board members offered no public comment on the plans.
Related (to Pottsgrove High reconstruction):
- ‘Grove Outlines Office Need As Part of HS Renovations
- Pottsgrove Looks To Hire HS Clerk Of The Works
- Pottsgrove Aggressive In Promoting, Defending HS Plan
- Pottsgrove ‘Response’ To Press Makes Financing Case
- Zoning Testimony Prompts Later School Board Start
- Board Places A Bet On Winning Grant For High School
- Pottsgrove High Renovations Face Zoning Hearing
- Asbestos Testing, Removal Planned For Pottsgrove High
- ‘Grove Wants To, But Can’t, Block School Lane Access
- Architects: High School Project Needs Zoning Variances
- ‘Grove High Renovation Not Yet Ready For Plan Review
- Pottsgrove To Explore Lighting Its Proposed Turf Field
- Pottsgrove High Reconstruction Might Keep Feet Drier
- Planners Get First Look At Pottsgrove Reconstruction
- Initial Planning OK’d For Pottsgrove High School Work
- Contractor Bids Sought For Pottsgrove Sewer Repairs
- Roofing Replacements At Pottsgrove High Aren’t Far Off
- Pottsgrove Preferences: STEM, Security, And Engineering
- Post Poll: What’s Important To YOU At Pottsgrove High?
- Behind ‘Grove Gym Support: All In A Place, A Place For All
- Blast From ‘Grove’s Past: Look What $1.2 Million Bought
- A Field Here, A Gym There. Voilà! $34.5 Million In Costs
- Monday’s Crowd Supported Pottsgrove Renovation Plan
- ‘Grove’s Smallest Renovation: What To Do With ‘Patio?’
- Pottsgrove Not Alone In Looking At STEM; College Is Too
- Monday Forum Seeks Input On Pottsgrove High Plans
- First Looks Offered For Renovations At Pottsgrove High
- Pottsgrove Now Plans 2 Meetings On High School Project
- Tick-Tock! Contractors Met Timetable At Pottsgrove HS
- Pottsgrove High Classes Unaffected By Smoking Heater
- Search Starts For Feasibility Study Vendor At Pottsgrove
- Upgrades Could Enhance STEM Education At Pottsgrove
- Pottsgrove Seeks Study On High School Project Wish List
- Board OKs Air Repairs As Start Of Fixes At High School
- Pottsgrove Hires Mechanicsburg Architect For HS Review
- Directors OK Engineering Study For High School Systems
- With Ringing Project Done, Pottsgrove Eyes HS Repairs
- Committee: Pottsgrove High Needs Work, Not Renovation
- Response Mixed To Pottsgrove Improvements