The flashing sign in the background warns of a Pottsgrove High School speed zone on Kauffman Road. It would be moved 70 feet closer to Buchert Road (indicated by orange lines) in a request from Lower Pottsgrove Township
SANATOGA PA – Lower Pottsgrove officials have delayed the township’s request to the state to move a flashing sign, which warns of a reduced speed limit on Kauffman Road near Pottsgrove High School, until they can talk with a home owner whose property would be affected.
During its meeting last Thursday (March 20, 2014), the township Board of Commissioners held off on approving an application to the Pennsylvania Department of Transportation to relocate the speed limit sign that faces the northbound lane of Kauffman. It now stands between Buchert Road and Cindy Drive, about 225 feet south of the school’s southern traffic entrance; that’s the driveway closest to the open patio surrounded by a much-discussed crumbling brick wall.
The sign warns drivers that a 15-mile-an-hour speed limit is in effect on Kauffman during school hours. A similar sign on the road’s southbound side, located 105 feet north of the school’s northern traffic entrance, would remain unchanged.
Although renovation and expansion of the high school is still being debated by the Pottsgrove Board of School Directors, the township already anticipates the project will include the addition of a new gymnasium, Manager Ed Wagner explained. Because the wheels of bureaucracy sometime turn slowly, the township is seeking PennDOT’s permission far in advance to move the sign further south and closer to Buchert to accommodate an accompanying new driveway.
Moving the pole-supported sign an additional 70 feet means that it may affect the view from a home adjacent to the new location. Commissioners suggested Wagner talk with the home owners as a courtesy and at least notify them of what was being considered. That should be accomplished before the board’s next scheduled meeting on April 7 (Monday).
The township owns, operates and maintains the sign, but the state vehicle code requires PennDOT authorization before such signs can be erected or modified.
Related (to Pottsgrove High reconstruction):
- High School Speed Limit Sign’s Movement Delayed
- High School ‘Constructability,’ Energy Set For A Review
- ‘Grove Outlines Office Need As Part of HS Renovations
- Pottsgrove Looks To Hire HS Clerk Of The Works
- Pottsgrove Aggressive In Promoting, Defending HS Plan
- Pottsgrove ‘Response’ To Press Makes Financing Case
- Zoning Testimony Prompts Later School Board Start
- Board Places A Bet On Winning Grant For High School
- Pottsgrove High Renovations Face Zoning Hearing
- Asbestos Testing, Removal Planned For Pottsgrove High
- ‘Grove Wants To, But Can’t, Block School Lane Access
- Architects: High School Project Needs Zoning Variances
- ‘Grove High Renovation Not Yet Ready For Plan Review
- Pottsgrove To Explore Lighting Its Proposed Turf Field
- Pottsgrove High Reconstruction Might Keep Feet Drier
- Planners Get First Look At Pottsgrove Reconstruction
- Initial Planning OK’d For Pottsgrove High School Work
- Contractor Bids Sought For Pottsgrove Sewer Repairs
- Roofing Replacements At Pottsgrove High Aren’t Far Off
- Pottsgrove Preferences: STEM, Security, And Engineering
- Post Poll: What’s Important To YOU At Pottsgrove High?
- Behind ‘Grove Gym Support: All In A Place, A Place For All
- Blast From ‘Grove’s Past: Look What $1.2 Million Bought
- A Field Here, A Gym There. Voilà! $34.5 Million In Costs
- Monday’s Crowd Supported Pottsgrove Renovation Plan
- ‘Grove’s Smallest Renovation: What To Do With ‘Patio?’
- Pottsgrove Not Alone In Looking At STEM; College Is Too
- Monday Forum Seeks Input On Pottsgrove High Plans
- First Looks Offered For Renovations At Pottsgrove High
- Pottsgrove Now Plans 2 Meetings On High School Project
- Tick-Tock! Contractors Met Timetable At Pottsgrove HS
- Pottsgrove High Classes Unaffected By Smoking Heater
- Search Starts For Feasibility Study Vendor At Pottsgrove
- Upgrades Could Enhance STEM Education At Pottsgrove
- Pottsgrove Seeks Study On High School Project Wish List
- Board OKs Air Repairs As Start Of Fixes At High School
- Pottsgrove Hires Mechanicsburg Architect For HS Review
- Directors OK Engineering Study For High School Systems
- With Ringing Project Done, Pottsgrove Eyes HS Repairs
- Committee: Pottsgrove High Needs Work, Not Renovation
- Response Mixed To Pottsgrove Improvements
Photo from Lower Pottsgrove Township