SANATOGA PA – A letter from Pottsgrove School District Business Administrator David Nester arrived last week at the Lower Pottsgrove municipal building, in which he asked the township for what amounts to a professional courtesy. The district wants it to waive collection of all fees associated with the coming renovation and expansion of Pottsgrove High School.
The Board of Commissioners promised to give the request “some thought,” as board President Bruce Foltz put it Monday (April 7, 2014) during its meeting, but the general mood of an accompanying discussion was probably less courteous than Nester might have hoped.
The reason: there’s big money involved. Township Manager Ed Wagner estimates the fees for plans, permits, applications, studies and other usual and necessary paperwork required for a project as large and expensive as Pottsgrove’s – an estimated $33 million – amounts to about 2 percent of its total, or $660,000.
“That’s an awful lot of money to give up,” Foltz said. And from an audience member at the back of the board room came this follow-on comment: “And if they get it, the school board will just spend it on something else and still raise our taxes.” At least two board members nodded their heads in what seemed to be agreement.
There is a precedent for the wavier. Lower Pottsgrove agreed to a similar request three years ago when the district renovated and expanded Ringing Rocks Elementary School.
Things have changed since: the board’s elected member- and leadership is one; its more conservative mindset, in the eyes of some observers, is another. Just how much, if at all, those factors would affect a board decision is unknown. A response to Nester’s letter isn’t expected to be offered for at least two weeks.
Related (to the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners’ April 7 meeting):
Related (to Pottsgrove High reconstruction):
- Pottsgrove Asks Township For A $660,000 ‘Courtesy’
- ‘Grove Considers $108,000 High School ‘Commissioning’
- High School Speed Limit Sign’s Movement Delayed
- High School ‘Constructability,’ Energy Set For A Review
- ‘Grove Outlines Office Need As Part of HS Renovations
- Pottsgrove Looks To Hire HS Clerk Of The Works
- Pottsgrove Aggressive In Promoting, Defending HS Plan
- Pottsgrove ‘Response’ To Press Makes Financing Case
- Zoning Testimony Prompts Later School Board Start
- Board Places A Bet On Winning Grant For High School
- Pottsgrove High Renovations Face Zoning Hearing
- Asbestos Testing, Removal Planned For Pottsgrove High
- ‘Grove Wants To, But Can’t, Block School Lane Access
- Architects: High School Project Needs Zoning Variances
- ‘Grove High Renovation Not Yet Ready For Plan Review
- Pottsgrove To Explore Lighting Its Proposed Turf Field
- Pottsgrove High Reconstruction Might Keep Feet Drier
- Planners Get First Look At Pottsgrove Reconstruction
- Initial Planning OK’d For Pottsgrove High School Work
- Contractor Bids Sought For Pottsgrove Sewer Repairs
- Roofing Replacements At Pottsgrove High Aren’t Far Off
- Pottsgrove Preferences: STEM, Security, And Engineering
- Post Poll: What’s Important To YOU At Pottsgrove High?
- Behind ‘Grove Gym Support: All In A Place, A Place For All
- Blast From ‘Grove’s Past: Look What $1.2 Million Bought
- A Field Here, A Gym There. Voilà! $34.5 Million In Costs
- Monday’s Crowd Supported Pottsgrove Renovation Plan
- ‘Grove’s Smallest Renovation: What To Do With ‘Patio?’
- Pottsgrove Not Alone In Looking At STEM; College Is Too
- Monday Forum Seeks Input On Pottsgrove High Plans
- First Looks Offered For Renovations At Pottsgrove High
- Pottsgrove Now Plans 2 Meetings On High School Project
- Tick-Tock! Contractors Met Timetable At Pottsgrove HS
- Pottsgrove High Classes Unaffected By Smoking Heater
- Search Starts For Feasibility Study Vendor At Pottsgrove
- Upgrades Could Enhance STEM Education At Pottsgrove
- Pottsgrove Seeks Study On High School Project Wish List
- Board OKs Air Repairs As Start Of Fixes At High School
- Pottsgrove Hires Mechanicsburg Architect For HS Review
- Directors OK Engineering Study For High School Systems
- With Ringing Project Done, Pottsgrove Eyes HS Repairs
- Committee: Pottsgrove High Needs Work, Not Renovation
- Response Mixed To Pottsgrove Improvements
Photo from Google Images