POTTSTOWN PA – The 2014 Pottstown Relay for Life fund-raising campaign to benefit the American Cancer Society enjoyed a $14,000 boost in collections during the week after it ended its annual 24-hour walk-athon in the stadium behind Pottsgrove High School on Kauffman Road, its website reported Sunday (June 8, 2014).
Local organizers reported this year’s efforts by 90 teams and 1,739 individual participants on May 31 and June 1 so far have raised $333,358.26, up from the more than $319,000 reported just seven days earlier. Additional collection results, plus money raised at the event itself, helped the total to rise.
- Watch a video (above) of relay guests and walkers spending time last Saturday (May 31) in the Luminaria Garden created on the stadium’s east side, or see it at The Post’s YouTube channel, here.
According to Relay For Life website, the top 5 fund-raising individuals, listed by team and amounts in descending order:
- Debbie Oister, Sparxx 4 a Cure, $5,150;
- Kristin Williams, Limerick Elementary, $3,424.75;
- Elaine Lambert, Cedarlites, $3,095;
- Debbie Mason, Angel-Lites; $3,020; and
- Cindy Dawson, the Castaways, $2,510.
The top 5 fund-raising teams, listed by team captain, number of team members, and amounts in descending order:
- Cancer Busters, Cynthia Miller-Stein, 18, $18,499;
- Cedarlites, Tammy Wagner, 28, $17,647.17;
- Limerick Generating Station EA, Donna Christman, 16, $17,106.37;
- Diamond’s Hope, Deb Maskrey, 24, $16,400.55; and
- All Heart A, Tara Cantello, 19, $15,628.25.
Video by Joe Zlomek for The Post Publications LLC