SANATOGA PA – Of many things that might delay the impending reconstruction of Pottsgrove High School, Lower Pottsgrove Township is determined to ensure reviewing blueprints, issuing permits and inspecting contractors’ work won’t be among them.
The township recently hired Joseph Groff as its new zoning and building codes enforcement officer, but he has yet to be certified for the inspection of commercial buildings, Manager Ed Wagner said. That’s prompted the Board of Commissioners to authorize two interim appointments, specifically with its eye on the Pottsgrove School District’s high school project schedule.
During their meeting Thursday (June 5, 2014), commissioners agreed to hire a Morgantown PA-based engineering consultant firm, Technicon Enterprises Inc., to perform commercial plumbing, mechanical, energy and accessibility inspections at a rate of $65 hourly. And in a brief, five-minute meeting held May 30 (Friday) at 8 a.m., they also approved hiring Pennoni Associates of King of Prussia PA to handle the township’s commercial permit work at a cost of $78 hourly.
The district Board of School Directors expects work to begin within only weeks on a three-year, roughly $30 million renovation of the high school. It will add new science classrooms, a new gymnasium, upgrade teaching and student facilities, improve security systems, and expand quarters for the nursing and guidance staffs.
Lower Pottsgrove has municipal jurisdiction over the project because the Kauffman Road building sits within its borders. Commissioners and the school board negotiated to cut the township’s license, permit and inspection charges in half, from $437,410 to $220,000. The total will include whatever fees the township pays to Technicon and Pennoni, Wagner said.
A ceremonial ground-breaking for the renovation has been scheduled by the district for Tuesday (June 10) at 7 p.m. at the high school’s main entrance, 1345 Kauffman Rd. Meetings of the school board and its Academic Affairs and Technology Committee meeting will follow the event.
Related (to the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners’ June 5 meeting):
Related (to Pottsgrove High reconstruction):
- Township Moves Ensure High School Project On Track
- Pottsgrove Board Signs Contracts For High School Work
- Is Pottsgrove High Design Missing One Small Detail?
- Township Offers Bargain On Pottsgrove High Project
- Spadt Resignation, High School Plans On Board Agenda
- Pottsgrove High Makeover Gets Directors’ Green Light
- Pottsgrove Asks Township For A $660,000 ‘Courtesy’
- ‘Grove Considers $108,000 High School ‘Commissioning’
- High School Speed Limit Sign’s Movement Delayed
- High School ‘Constructability,’ Energy Set For A Review
- ‘Grove Outlines Office Need As Part of HS Renovations
- Pottsgrove Looks To Hire HS Clerk Of The Works
- Pottsgrove Aggressive In Promoting, Defending HS Plan
- Pottsgrove ‘Response’ To Press Makes Financing Case
- Zoning Testimony Prompts Later School Board Start
- Board Places A Bet On Winning Grant For High School
- Pottsgrove High Renovations Face Zoning Hearing
- Asbestos Testing, Removal Planned For Pottsgrove High
- ‘Grove Wants To, But Can’t, Block School Lane Access
- Architects: High School Project Needs Zoning Variances
- ‘Grove High Renovation Not Yet Ready For Plan Review
- Pottsgrove To Explore Lighting Its Proposed Turf Field
- Pottsgrove High Reconstruction Might Keep Feet Drier
- Planners Get First Look At Pottsgrove Reconstruction
- Initial Planning OK’d For Pottsgrove High School Work
- Contractor Bids Sought For Pottsgrove Sewer Repairs
- Roofing Replacements At Pottsgrove High Aren’t Far Off
- Pottsgrove Preferences: STEM, Security, And Engineering
- Post Poll: What’s Important To YOU At Pottsgrove High?
- Behind ‘Grove Gym Support: All In A Place, A Place For All
- Blast From ‘Grove’s Past: Look What $1.2 Million Bought
- A Field Here, A Gym There. Voilà! $34.5 Million In Costs
- Monday’s Crowd Supported Pottsgrove Renovation Plan
- ‘Grove’s Smallest Renovation: What To Do With ‘Patio?’
- Pottsgrove Not Alone In Looking At STEM; College Is Too
- Monday Forum Seeks Input On Pottsgrove High Plans
- First Looks Offered For Renovations At Pottsgrove High
- Pottsgrove Now Plans 2 Meetings On High School Project
- Tick-Tock! Contractors Met Timetable At Pottsgrove HS
- Pottsgrove High Classes Unaffected By Smoking Heater
- Search Starts For Feasibility Study Vendor At Pottsgrove
- Upgrades Could Enhance STEM Education At Pottsgrove
- Pottsgrove Seeks Study On High School Project Wish List
- Board OKs Air Repairs As Start Of Fixes At High School
- Pottsgrove Hires Mechanicsburg Architect For HS Review
- Directors OK Engineering Study For High School Systems
- With Ringing Project Done, Pottsgrove Eyes HS Repairs
- Committee: Pottsgrove High Needs Work, Not Renovation
- Response Mixed To Pottsgrove Improvements
Photo from Google Images