School board members and district officials (above) dig into ground Tuesday night at the high school. They wore hard hats for the occasion but, no, the fit wasn’t perfect (below).
POTTSTOWN PA – In a less-than-30-minute ceremony that school board President Justin Valentine said represented eight earlier years of work, the Pottsgrove School District officially broke ground Tuesday night (June 10, 2014) for its renovations of the high school building on Kauffman Road.
The roughly $30 million dollar project will take contractors three years to complete. They will add new classrooms, science facilities and a gymnasium; expand the cafeteria, enhance security, and otherwise re-make the decades-old structure into an updated learning environment for students, Superintendent Shellie Feola said.
Members of the high school concert band played upbeat tunes to mark the occasion. District officials, teachers, architects’ and contractors’ representatives, the presidents of each high school class, and the public chatted and laughed as they awaited the inevitable speeches and literal dirt-throwing that accompany such events.
The current Board of School Directors was soon called to the front of the high school entrance to pick up shovels and dig into a neatly piled semi-circle of soft earth. They wore ill-fitting helmets but sincere smiles as cameras snapped away, and then broke for refreshments before heading into back-to-back committee and full board meetings.
- Watch a video (above) of the ground-breaking ceremony at Pottsgrove High, or see it at The Post’s YouTube channel, here.
- Watch a second video at The Post’s Tout channel, here.
- See a gallery of photos from the event. Click on any thumbnail photo below to see it on a separate page, then click the photo there to see it in full size.
Related (to Pottsgrove High reconstruction):
- High School Renovations Start With Ceremonial Dig
- Township Moves Ensure High School Project On Track
- Pottsgrove Board Signs Contracts For High School Work
- Is Pottsgrove High Design Missing One Small Detail?
- Township Offers Bargain On Pottsgrove High Project
- Spadt Resignation, High School Plans On Board Agenda
- Pottsgrove High Makeover Gets Directors’ Green Light
- Pottsgrove Asks Township For A $660,000 ‘Courtesy’
- ‘Grove Considers $108,000 High School ‘Commissioning’
- High School Speed Limit Sign’s Movement Delayed
- High School ‘Constructability,’ Energy Set For A Review
- ‘Grove Outlines Office Need As Part of HS Renovations
- Pottsgrove Looks To Hire HS Clerk Of The Works
- Pottsgrove Aggressive In Promoting, Defending HS Plan
- Pottsgrove ‘Response’ To Press Makes Financing Case
- Zoning Testimony Prompts Later School Board Start
- Board Places A Bet On Winning Grant For High School
- Pottsgrove High Renovations Face Zoning Hearing
Also see these …