Editor’s Note: The award-winning Pottsgrove High School Falcon Marching Band returned last week from its well-received visit to Atlanta GA, where it participated in several activities surrounding the Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl college football game. We thank Liz Remelius, band instructor and assistant to Director Victor Holladay, for this update.
By Elizabeth Remelius
for The Sanatoga Post
On Sunday, Dec. 27 (2015), 47 members of the Pottsgrove High School Falcon Marching, their staff, and chaperones boarded a bus to Atlanta GA and the 2015 Chick-fil-A Peach Bowl. The Falcons, the sole representative from Pennsylvania, performed throughout the Bowl Game festivities as one of the 15 high school bands invited to participate in the event.
Throughout the week, the band performed for thousands of people in incredible venues around Atlanta.
- They participated in a concert band adjudication, where they had the opportunity to learn from several influential names in collegiate-level music education.
- They had the opportunity to meet and talk with members of both the University of Houston and Florida State University’s marching bands.
- The route of the Peach Bowl parade took them throughout downtown Atlanta and through ranks of excited football fans.
- The Falcons had the opportunity to perform twice inside the Georgia Dome: to perform their 2015 field show, “OUTTATIME: Celebrating 25 Years of Back to the Future,” and as participants in the more than 1,000-students mass band that performed before the bowl game, and also presented the National Anthem at the game.
The week was certainly not all work. In addition to watching the University of Houston and Florida State University go head-to-head in the Peach Bowl, the students and their chaperones had the opportunity to visit several iconic places around Atlanta. They included Olympic Centennial Park, CNN Studios, the World of Coca-Cola, the Georgia Aquarium, and the Martin Luther King Jr. National Historic Site.
The band’s hard work during their week in Atlanta earned them three impressive recognitions. In their division, the Falcons earned a third-place trophy for their concert band adjudication, second place for their field show, and first place for their performance in the Peach Bowl Parade.
The Falcons thank the faculty, staff, and administration of the Pottsgrove School District for their continuing support of the arts in our schools. This support ensures that Pottsgrove students are able to enjoy these once-in-a-lifetime opportunities.
We are always proud to wear Maroon and White in representing our community, the Pottsgrove School District, and the state of Pennsylvania.
- Follow the Pottsgrove High School Falcon Marching Band on Facebook, and on Twitter. Contact its director, Victor Holladay, by e-mail, here.
Photos from the Pottsgrove High School Marching Band