SANATOGA PA – Ray Lopez, a man who knows something about making government run efficiently, has made suggestions to bring what he hopes is a little more order to meetings of the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners.
Lopez recently offered his fellow commissioners a draft copy of proposed rules that in part describe how township meetings would be conducted, in what order business would be considered, when public comments will be accepted on board business and under what circumstances, and how the board would deal with items not on its agenda.
The proposal relies heavily on the parlimentary procedural guide known as “Roberts Rules of Order,” he noted, but also has been somewhat customized for what Lopez considers the board’s specific needs.
Lopez, who now serves as an appointed commissioner and also as the township emergency management coordinator, formerly worked as Pottstown borough manager for three years, and earlier as director of the borough’s Codes Office, and as its acting director of finance.
He has continued working with municipalities as a project manager for Dallas Data Systems Inc. of Pottstown, a specialty software developer for governments, according to his Linked-In profile.
The draft copy of his proposal was introduced during the commissioners’ Jan. 21 meeting, and a revised version was delivered to board members Feb. 1. Lopez explained it was his desire in dealing with public comment “to keep things organized, more orderly, and with fairness.”
One new measure would require commenters to register in advance to speak to the board, and time limits could be imposed on comment length. Similar measures are already in place for Pottsgrove Board of School Directors’ meetings.
The proposal has not yet been publicly distributed. Commissioners thanked Lopez for his work on the project, which also included a new township organizational chart, and took it under advisement. “I think it’s worth looking at,” board President Bruce Foltz said.
Township Commissioners Meet Feb. 18
Commissioners are next scheduled to meet Thursday (Feb. 18) at 6:45 p.m. in the municipal building, 2199 Buchert Rd. Township meetings are free to attend and open to the public.
Related (to the Lower Pottsgrove Board of Commissioners’ Feb. 1 meeting):
- New Rules Proposed For Township Meetings
- Township Report: 2015 Safe Year In Firefighting
- Township Sets Hearing For Flood Law Changes
- Township Seeks Bids For Its Digital Sign
- Marking Fire Hydrants Suggested To Board
- What’s Inside Public Works Box? Another Box!
- When Weather’s Bad, The Bad Aren’t Stirring
- Commissioners Delay Assessment Appeal OK
- Added 422 Work Held Hostage In Budget Fight
- Police Officer Suffers Concussion In Fall
- Township Seeks Nuclear Assistance Grant
- She Smiled While Saying, ‘Tax Bills Ready’
- Executive Session Covers Personnel Issue
- Township Admits ‘Problems’ Removing Snow
Top photo from Google Images