Visit us on Google+

Two Oil Heater Fire Calls Sunday At Walnut Ridge

SANATOGA PA – A problem with an oil-burning heater created soot, smoke and high carbon monoxide levels Sunday afternoon (Jan. 29, 2017) at about 3:45 p.m. in the basement of a home at 2302 Walnut Ridge Estates, Lower Pottsgrove Fire Marshal Lou Babel said. No one appeared to be injured.

Responders said those in the property claimed the furnace had been serviced only six weeks ago.

Volunteers arrived from the Sanatoga and Ringing Hill fire companies, as did Lower Pottsgrove police, fire police, and Goodwill Ambulance. Several pieces of apparatus waited at the scene as firefighters made sure occupants were out of the house, then donned breathing equipment and examined the property. They unloaded large exhaust fans from their trucks, opened windows throughout the unit, and began airing out the home to rid it of the deadly monoxide gas.

  • Watch a video (above) of the firefighters’ response, or see it at The Post’s YouTube channel, here.

Two cats said to be within the unit apparently escaped; at least one reportedly exited by brushing past the legs of responders trying to enter. One firefighter also rescued a pet hamster. It seemed to be active inside its cage after it was placed on a parking area below the home’s front door.

Firefighters also knocked on doors of adjacent homes, and asked their occupants if they could come in briefly to ensure air there was safe to breathe.

Such calls are common during winter in certain parts of the township, Babel indicated. Firefighters had been summoned to Walnut Ridge the same day – roughly 10 hours earlier, at about 6 a.m. – for what the fire marshal described as “same problem, different building.”

Photo and video by The Post Publications

Like what you read? Get even more of it, free. Subscribe to The Post.