Visit us on Google+

Family Services Offers Free Tax Return Prep

SANATOGA PA – Free basic income tax preparation for low- to moderate-income individuals and families, primarily those who earned less than $54,000 during 2016, is being offered by appointment only with Family Services of Montgomery County on specific days each week during tax season under the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance program.

Family Services will provide tax assistance appointments at its Sanatoga office, 1976 E. High St., on Mondays and Tuesdays from 5-8 p.m., and Saturdays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m.. Appointments also can be scheduled Thursdays from 5-8 p.m. at its Eagleville office, 3125 Ridge Pike, Eagleville. To schedule an appointment at either site, call Family Services at 610-326-1610.

The program “can help put money back in your pocket,” said Shirley Petko, program coordinator, by saving clients money in filing fees, as well as claiming special credits and refunds, such as the earned income tax credit.

The IRS trains and certifies Family Services’ volunteers to prepare, and electronically file, income tax forms. The program intends to help working families improve their finances and increase self-sufficiency.

Family Services requires individuals to bring the following documents to their appointment:

  • Photo identification (driver’s license or state-issued identification card) for self and spouse;
  • Social security cards for self, spouse and dependents;
  • Birth dates for self, spouse and dependents;
  • Wage and earning statement(s) (Form W-2, 1099, unemployment statements) from all employers for self and spouse;
  • Health insurance statement (Forms 1095-A, 1095-B or 1095-C);
  • Interest and dividend statements from banks for self and spouse;
  • Bank account and routing numbers for direct deposit;
  • Other relevant information about income and expenses;
  • Total paid for daycare, daycare provider’s address and tax identification number;
  • Total paid for college tuition, college’s address and tax identification number;
  • Form 8332 or a copy of a divorce decree if you are a non-custodial parent claiming a child;
  • A copy of last year’s federal and state tax returns (if available); and
  • If filing jointly, both the filer and spouse must be present to sign the tax return.

Top photo from Google Images

Like what you read? Get even more of it, free. Subscribe to The Post.