NORRISTOWN PA – Police departments in Lower, Upper and West Pottsgrove, Pottstown, Limerick, Royersford, and elsewhere are joining with the Montgomery County District Attorney’s Office and the county Police Chiefs Association in promoting another drug “Take-Back Day” on Saturday (April 29, 2017) from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at a variety of area locations.
In Lower Pottsgrove, according to police, the Take-Back Day will be held at the Sanatoga Fire Company fire house, 2222 E. High St.
The drug disposal program, part of a national effort, provides a safe way for area residents to dispose of unwanted, unneeded and expired prescription and over-the-counter medications. Since the program began in 2010, more than 28,000 pounds of medicines have been collected and destroyed locally. During the most recent Take-Back Day in October 2016, people from across the county rid themselves of more than 6,000 pounds of medicines, the DA’s Office reported.
The take-back program intends to reduce the supply of drugs available in a home medicine cabinet for child experimentation, and to increase the safety and purity of local water resources. Drug overdose deaths in Montgomery County are growing rapidly and are predicted to increase over 2016, promoters said.
Drugs and drug-related items accepted during the take-back include accepted medicines, prescription tablets and capsules, over-the-counter tablets and capsules, liquid medications, inhalers, creams and ointments, nasal sprays, and pet medications. Prescription medicines can be left in their original prescription bottles with the label removed or the name blacked out, or can be placed in plastic bags.
Not accepted are intravenous medicines, injectable solutions, and needles.
Participating local drop-off sites include:
- Lower Pottsgrove Township Police Department, at Sanatoga Fire Company, 2222 E. High St., Sanatoga PA 19464;
- Upper Pottsgrove Police Department, 1420 Heather Place, Pottstown PA 19464;
- West Pottsgrove Police Department, 980 Grosstown Road, Stowe PA 19464;
- Pottstown Police Department, 100 E. High St., Pottstown PA 19464;
- Limerick Township Police Department, 155 S. Limerick Rd., Limerick PA 19468;
- Royersford Police Department, 300 Main St., Royersford PA 19468;
- Collegeville Police Department, 491 E. Main St., Collegeville PA 19426;
- Upper Providence Police Department, 1286 Black Rock Rd., Oaks PA 19456;
- New Hanover Township Police Department, 2943 N. Charlotte St., Gilbertsville PA 19525; and
- Douglass Township Police Department, 1320 E. Philadelphia Ave., Gilbertsville PA 19525.
Photo from Google Images