UPPER POTTSGROVE PA – Choral Director Heather Hodgdon offered a bit of an impish smile as she turned toward the audience Thursday night (Nov. 30, 2017) attending the Lower Pottsgrove 4th and 5th Grade Chorus’ holiday concert. Her large group of singers was about to present its fifth and final number in the evening show, and it included a surprise, she said; “a twist.”
The chorus, roughly 80 youngsters strong, then launched into Greg Gilpin’s arrangement of a Christmas classic, “Parade of the Wooden Soldiers.” That surprise Hodgdon promised? To the delight of the substantial crowd seated in the Pottsgrove Middle School auditorium, it occurred midway through the song.
- Watch a video of the performance (above), or see it at The Post’s YouTube channel, here.
The audience laughed. At the end, some parents stood as they applauded. Many more took cell phone photo mementos (below).
Earlier the group also performed “This Holiday,” “Hanukkah Shalom,” “Skatin’ and Sleighin’,” and “Ding! Dong! Merrily On High.” Music teacher Carole Bean accompanied on the piano.
The elementary students’ show was the first of six special concerts on which Pottsgrove students of all ages and talents have been working since September. Others in the series are scheduled for:
- Dec. 4 (Monday), Advanced Elementary Schools’ Band and Orchestra Concert, at the Pottsgrove Middle School auditorium, 1351 N. Hanover St.;
- Dec. 7 (Thursday), High School Band and Orchestra Concert, at the Pottsgrove High School auditorium, 1345 Kauffman Rd.;
- Dec. 11 (Monday), Middle School Band and Orchestra Concert, at the middle school auditorium;
- Dec. 14 (Thursday), Middle School Choral Concert, at the middle school auditorium; and
- Dec. 21 (Thursday), High School Choral Concert, at the high school auditorium.
All of the performances are free and open to the public, and each starts at 7 p.m.
Video and photos by The Post Publications