A bird’s-eye view of the roofs at Pottsgrove Middle School
LOWER POTTSGROVE PA – Roofs covering the heads of students at the aging Pottsgrove Middle School, and a few of the walls that support them, are leaking and in some places cracking. They need to be repaired or replaced, experts claim, possibly at a total cost of more than $2.5 million to address a full list of problems.
Authorizing a contract for the work and its cost, or some portion of it, is among the first items of business to be considered tonight (Tuesday, Dec. 5, 2017) by the Pottsgrove Board of School Directors. It is scheduled to convene at 7:30 p.m., following its annual reorganizational meeting, in the large group instruction room at Pottsgrove High School, Kauffman Road.
The meeting is free to attend and open to the public. A copy of the board agenda is available for download from the Pottsgrove School District website, here.
Directors will be asked to accept a proposed contract with a subsidiary of Ohio-based Tremco Roofing and Building Maintenance for up to nine projects to stop persistent roof leaks, and fix what are indicated to be design flaws in the building’s construction that created them and related concerns. A Tremco presentation is anticipated to also include a detailed scope of work and projected time frame for completion by late summer 2018.
Also on the agenda, directors will:
- Review and possibly raise some administrators’ salaries effective Dec. 1;
- Handle several personnel items, including the official request by Pottsgrove Falcons Head Coach Rick Pennypacker to resign from that position effective Jan. 15 (2018), and from intramural weight training at the high school as of last month;
- Consider replacing the failing 23-year-old air chiller at West Pottsgrove Elementary School, Grosstown Road, Stowe, at a cost of $160,000;
- Hear administrative requests for attendance at upcoming seminars;
- Receive reports and accept minutes of board committees; and
- Provide answers to previously asked board questions about the cost of a senior class trip to Florida, and plans for the high school Spirit Week.
Related (to the Pottsgrove Board of School Directors’ Dec. 5 meeting):
- Board Considers $2.5M Roof Replacement At MS
- ‘Grove School Directors Take Their Seats Tonight
Photo from Google Earth