Downtown Pottstown Gears Up This Sunday For Holidays
POTTSTOWN PA – “Super Sunday” – not the football version, but the one attributed to downtown Pottstown merchants – will mark the business district’s observation of National Support Small Business Day, and is scheduled for Sunday (Nov. 27, 2011) from noon to 4 p.m. among merchants of the Pottstown Downtown Improvement District Authority (PDIDA), according to its chairman, Sheila Dugan.
Across the country next week, small businesses are encouraging customers within their trading area to patronize them, rather than or in addition to national chains and larger regional competitors. The effort, heavily promoted by American Express, is being observed in many locales on Saturday, but the Sunday celebration gives potential shoppers an extra day to take advantage of all downtown has to offer.
Many downtown merchants will open their doors to take part, Dugan said. Shops expected to be open include Lastick Furniture, Cole’s Tobacco, the Tri-County Performing Arts Center, Memories ‘N More, Argento’s Pizza, Laserworx, Juan Carlos, Rich Ranieri, Weitzenkorn’s, Christian Reading Room, Bistro 137, Old World Barber Shop, and the High Street Music Company.
- The Pottstown Farmers’ Market, 300 High St., will play host to a number of crafters. Special deals also will be found inside at Grumpy’s Sandwiches, Freeland Meats, and J&H Produce. The market also host “The Giving Tree” for Head Start. Donations of food and clothing are appreciated.
- The Second Brigade Motorcycle Club will display its bikes in the parking lot of Sovereign Bank on the 200 block of High Street. They will collect food and clothing items to be donated to families of members of the military. They will also accept gift cards to supermarkets and coupons for free turkeys. The club supports veterans and members of the military.
- There will be many activities for youngsters, including face painting and a visit to Santa’s house, decorated for the holiday season. A tree decorating contest also is being conducted, with its winners’ named on Dec. 18. Sponsors of the winning entry will receive $500 for their organization.
- Free trolley rides are being offered to make traveling the district a breeze. Stops are scheduled at the 100, 200 and 300 blocks of High Street.
Super Sunday is the kick-off to downtown events throughout December:
- Dec. 2 is a visit by Santa Claus and the traditional candy toss;
- Dec. 4, the Parks and Recreation Department will sponsor the 5K Santa Run and Bark for Life event;
- Dec. 9 is the Mosaic and PDIDA Holiday Ball;
- Dec. 11 is Santa Open House; and
- Dec. 18 is the Holiday Brunch, with many local restaurants participating.
For more information, contact Dugan by e-mail, here.