Colleges Name Pottstown Area Top Achievers
SANATOGA PA – Students whoe families live in the greater Pottstown area were honored through Saturday (June 4, 2016) for academic accomplishments and college achievements in announcements from their educational institutions.
Hayley Tomaselli of Upper Pottsgrove Township a sophomore at Shippensburg University in Shippensburg PA, was named to the Spring 2016 semester dean’s list as an Accounting major in its John L. Grove College of Business. She is an executive in the Alpha Phi sorority. A 2014 graduate of Pottsgrove High School, she was a member of its National Honor Society.
David Schaeffer of Pottstown recently was inducted into the SALUTE – Service, Academics, Leadership, Unity, Tribute, Excellence – National Honor Society for Veterans at Kutztown University in Kutztown PA. He was among the first class of Kutztown students to be inducted.
Jacqueline Spencer of Pottstown was recently initiated into The Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest and most selective collegiate honor society at Elon University in Baton Rouge LA. Spencer is pursuing a degree in special education.
Taylor Tomaselli of Upper Pottsgrove Township graduated from the Pennsylvania State University in University Park PA during May (2016) with a master’s degree in special education. She was named to the Spring 2016 semester dean’s list. She was an executive in the Sigma Kappa sorority and active in THON. She is a member of the Phi Eta Sigma and Phi Kappa Phi Honor Societies. A 2011 graduate of Pottsgrove High School, she was a member of its National Honor Society.
Pottstown resident Nathan Villanova is among nearly 700 students who graduated during May from Bob Jones University in Greenville SC. Villanova graduated with a master’s degree in theological studies.
Theodore Keffer of Pottstown graduated during May from Emerson College in Boston MA. Keffer earned a bachelor’s degree in film production.
Residents of Sanatoga and Pottstown are among 1,047 students who graduated during May with bachelor’s degrees from Millersville University in Millersville PA. They include:
- From Sanatoga, Megan Stevens, in speech communication; and
- From Pottstown, Leyna Gilleland, in anthropology; Daniel Harpold, in history; Maria Horvat, in government; Casey Knapp, in speech communication; Megan Webb, in speech communication; Kayleigh Breidor, in psychology; Courtney Cassidy, in government; Thomas Demetrio, in mathematics; Andrew Lytle, in biology; Zachary Markwith, in biology; Sene Polamalu, in mathematics; and Morgan Rowland, in psychology.
More than 760 students received bachelor’s degrees during May from at York College in York PA. They include, from Pottstown, Savannah Gallant, cum laude, in public relations.
Titles, Awards, Acceptances
Top students at Alvernia University in Reading PA received awards during its annual Honors Convocation ceremony. Among those recognized from Pottstown were:
- Stefanie Leinbach, who earned the Spirit of St. Francis Award from the School of Graduate & Adult Education;
- Michael Syrylo, the Academic Excellence Award from the Criminal Justice Department in the College of Professional Programs;
- Susan McAllister, the Excellence in Community Health Nursing Award from the Nursing Department in the College of Professional Programs;
- Tracey Brown, the School of Graduate and Adult Education Ph.D. Leadership Award from the School of Graduate & Adult Education;
- Ashley Frain, the Master of Arts in Community Counseling Professional Counseling Award from the School of Graduate & Adult Education; and
- Mary Frain, the Leaders in Learning Award from the School of Graduate & Adult Education.
About 100 students at Albright College in Reading PA were recognized during May for academic achievements. Among those honored from Pottstown were:
- Samantha Chichearo, a senior business administration and marketing major, who received The William E.C. and Mary Dearden Chair in Business Administration Scholars Award: Marketing; and
- Cara Gulick, a senior psychology and early childhood education major, The Early Childhood Education Award.
Jane Hopkinson-Wood of Pottstown, a graduate of The Hill School and during this year a sophomore at Wittenberg University in Springfield OH, has earned first-team All-Great Lakes Region honors from the Women’s Golf Coaches Association. Hopkinson-Wood is a repeat selection on the first team in 2016; last year she became the first All-American in the history of Wittenberg women’s golf.
Photo from Google Images