Colleges Honor Pottstown Area Grads This Week
POTTSTOWN PA – Pottstown High School graduates who excelled at academics and athletics were identified this week for their scholastic aptitude and leadership abilities. They are among 11 local students named for academic and extracurricular accomplishments at their colleges, universities, and other higher educational institutions.
A graduate of Pottstown High, and two graduates of Pottsgrove, were among 250 students athletes at Lebanon Valley College in Annville PA recognized for their competition during the fall on the college’s Flying Dutchmen sports teams, it said Monday (Dec. 18, 2017) . Honored were:
- Gary Wise of Pottstown, a Pottstown Senior High graduate, is pursuing a bachelor of science in early childhood education at the college and played on the football team. It finished the season 5-5 overall, including a 5-4 mark in Middle Atlantic Conference play.
- Ethan Abdalla and Liam Abdalla of Pottstown, both of whom are Pottsgrove graduates pursuing a bachelor of science in early childhood education and special education, played on the men’s soccer team. It won 15 games and its second-straight ECAC Division III Championship.
University of Delaware swimmer Kevin Basch of Pottstown, a Pottsgrove High product, during November was named a Colonial Athletic Association Swimmer of the Week. Basch, a sophomore, came off strong performances against La Salle University and Rider University. He is the first Blue Hen to earn the honor in two years.
Leanne Faust, a Pottstown resident who is a marketing major at Coastal Carolina University, recently participated in a fundraiser for Fostering Hope in Conway NC, the university said Monday. The organization provides goods and services to local foster care children and others in crisis. Faust and other students collected more than $34,260, 236 backpacks, and care packages full of hygiene and beauty products, toys, and supplies for Fostering Hope teenagers.
Pottstown resident Isaac Sassa, a sophomore and business administration major at Bob Jones University in Greenville SC, is among 540 of its students named to the Fall 2017 President’s List. The list recognizes students who earn a 3.75 or higher grade point average for the semester.
Three Pottstown area residents were among 419 students who graduated Saturday (Dec. 16) from East Stroudsburg University during its winter commencement ceremony. They are:
- Jacob Beitler, who graduated with a degree in sport management;
- Trenton Clifford, with a bachelor of arts in physics; and
- Katrina Zadoyko, with a bachelor of science in marine science.
Blair Burris of Royersford has been named as a member of Delta Epsilon Sigma, a national scholastic honor society for students, faculty, and alumni of colleges and universities with a Catholic tradition. Burris is studying nursing at Alvernia University in Reading PA and is a graduate of Spring-Ford Senior High School.
Justin Shuler of Royersford was one of 103 Lebanon Valley College students who attended the Annville PA college’s sixth annual leadership conference. The theme of this year’s conference was “People, Purpose, Passion: What Drives your Leadership?” Shuler, a graduate of Spring-Ford Senior High School, is pursuing a bachelor of science in actuarial science at the college.
Photo from Google Images