Smoke, Odor Disrupt Pottstown Classes Tuesday

POTTSTOWN PA – A mechanical air handler malfunction Tuesday (Feb. 25, 2020) at about 11:30 a.m. in the band room area at Pottstown High School, 750 N. Washington St., created smoke and an electrical smell, activated building alarms, and brought a variety of first responders to the scene, the Pottstown School District said in an e-mail.

No one was reported injured, and regular school activity resumed less than a hour later. High school students and staff properly followed emergency procedures, the district added. They were temporarily relocated to the middle school, 600 N. Franklin St., as Pottstown fire trucks and the borough fire marshal immediately rolled in.

After completing their investigation, responders determined the building was sufficiently cleared for the return of students and staff, the district indicated. Lunch and class schedules were adjusted and regular activity resumed at 12:15 p.m., it said.

What specifically caused the smoke and odor was not explained, but the district said its “maintenance crew has addressed the mechanical problem to ensure everyone is safe.”

Photo from the Pottstown School District