Schwenksville Dryer Fire Quickly Extinguished

SCHWENKSVILLE PA – The cause of a clothes dryer fire reported Monday (July 20, 2020) at 9:19 a.m. in the Schwenksville Laundromat, 698 Main St., remains under investigation, according to borough Fire Marshal Chris Melville.

Volunteer firefighters from the Lower Frederick, Perkiomen, Skippack, and Harleysville companies all were sent by Montgomery County emergency dispatchers following a 9-1-1 call during which the caller said the laundromat was filling with smoke and smelled of burning plastic. When first responders arrived they discovered a fire in one dryer with light smoke conditions.

“The fire was quickly extinguished, and the smoke was quickly ventilated with a fan” (at right) Melville said. Responders checked for extension of the fire to nearby charred woodwork, but quickly determined the surroundings were safe and the fire was contained to the dryer unit.

Fire units returned to their stations and were available at around 9:45 a.m., he added. The laundromat was turned over to the property owner.

Photos by Ted Hodgins of the Perkiomen Fire Company, and used by The Post with permission