Firefighters Pull Plug Sunday on Highly Heated Cord

ELECTRICAL CORD GENERATED HEAT – A coiled and lengthy heavy-duty extension cord that generated a high degree of heat when it was plugged in to an outlet Sunday (Feb. 14, 2021) at 2:55 p.m., according to Lower Pottsgrove Fire Marshal Lew Babel, created an electrical odor that concerned residents of a home in the 1900 block of Glen Eagles Drive in the township. Babel explained that because the cord was coiled, the heat could not effectively dissipate into the surrounding air, causing the odor and posing a potential hazard. Firefighters and fire police volunteers from the Sanatoga and Ringing Hill companies, as well as Lower Pottsgrove police, responded to the scene. The fire marshal said there appeared to be no damage to the home, and there were no injuries. The cord was set outside the home to cool. Responders vacated the scene in about a half-hour.

Photo by The Post