Three Student Teachers Arrive at Pottsgrove in Fall
LOWER POTTSGROVE PA – Three individuals attending West Chester University have been approved by the Pottsgrove school board to work in its buildings between Sept. 1 and Dec. 16 (2021) as student teachers, under the supervision of cooperating district employees as mentors.
Accepted as student teacher placements were David Kreis, who will work with 7th grade math teacher Samantha Kuzniar; Clara Mauger, working with high school English teacher Jason Gault; and Madison Allen, working from September through October with Ringing Rocks Elementary kindergarten teacher Maria Benedict, and from October through December with Lower Pottsgrove Elementary special education teacher Vanessa Barniak.
Appointment of the paired college students and teachers were among several personnel items approved unanimously and without comment during the Board of School Directors’ Tuesday (March 23, 2021) virtual meeting. Others follow below.
Marco Desiderio was hired as a full-time biology teacher at Pottsgrove High School to fill a vacancy, effective April 6, at a pro-rated salary of $45,612.
Directors named six individuals to fill nine paid supplemental positions, usually intended to oversee or assist students in extracurricular activities, at a total cost of more than $13,800. The amounts of payment vary, but generally adhere to schedules set in advance which accompany labor contracts or other agreements. The positions filled, the names of those appointed, and the amounts they are to be paid include:
- School Store Manager, Pottsgrove Middle School, Marilyn Eaton, $580.30;
- Intramural Basketball, Middle School, Eric Engstrom, $625;
- Intramural Flag Football, Middle School, Engstrom, $625;
- Intramural Street Hockey, Middle School, Eaton, $625;
- Intramural Volleyball, Middle School, Eaton, $625;
- Intramural Softball, Middle School, Tom Bailey, $625;
- Intramural Soccer, Middle School, Steve Palladino, $625;
- Lacrosse Assistant Coach, Pottsgrove High School, Brendon Wurtz, $4750; and
- Lacrosse Assistant Coach, High School, Thomas Neeson, $4750.
The district noted that neither Wurtz or Neeson are faculty members.
Directors authorized a five-year (July 2021 to June 2026) contract for Dr. David Finnerty, currently assistant superintendent with the Twin Valley School District in Elverson, as Pottsgrove’s new superintendent at a first-year salary of $187,500. He succeeds the retiring Dr. William Shirk Jr. See earlier Post stories about his appointment here, here, and here.