Colleges Praise Local Scholars’ Achievements
POTTSTOWN PA – Twenty-three Pottstown, Owen J. Roberts, Pottsgrove, Boyertown Area, and Spring-Ford Area school district residents have been honored through Friday (April 9, 2021) for academic accomplishments and achievements, according to announcements from their educational institutions.
Recognized for Leadership and Civic Contributions
Aurora Ferguson of Royersford, a student at Spring-Ford Area High School, has joined a group of more than 1,300 students recognized during the past 10 years by Widener University and NBC10-TV for demonstrating leadership within their communities. She was named as one of 129 winners of this year’s Widener University High School Leadership Awards.
Ferguson, the university said, “has made a difference by advocating for mental health initiatives at her school and leading Aevidum, a nationally-recognized pro-mental health club.” Through it she organized Spring-Ford’s first annual Self-Care Night.
Recognized as Student-Athletes
Lionel Landry of Pottstown, a graduate of Boyertown Area High School, competed during the Winter 2020-2021 sports season for the Flying Dutchmen men’s ice hockey team of Lebanon Valley College. Landry is pursuing a bachelor of arts degree in political science.
Jake Skrocki and Zachary Male, both of Royersford, and Andrew Blum of Pottstown, are among 29 student-athletes representing the Kutztown University baseball program during its 2021 season. The team kicked off the season with March doubleheaders against Frostburg State at the Ripken Experience in Aberdeen MD.
Inducted into Phi Kappa Phi
Two local students have been inducted into their respective schools’ chapters of the Honor Society of Phi Kappa Phi, the nation’s oldest all-discipline collegiate honor society. They are among approximately 30,000 students, faculty, professional staff and alumni initiated into Phi Kappa Phi each year.
- At Arcadia University: Grace Kraft of Oaks; and
- At Florida Institute of Technology: Sarah Gleason of Royersford.
Inducted into National Society of Leadership
Anna Hoffnagle of Pottstown is among 110 Kutztown University students recently inducted into the National Society of Leadership and Success, as part of its Fall 2020 class.
Inducted into Mathematics Honor Society
Zachary Rieker of Pottstown, a senior biology major, was among University of Scranton students recently inducted into Pi Mu Epsilon, the national honor society for mathematics majors. The Jesuit university’s chapter of the honor society was established in 1973.
- At Hofstra University: Anthony Kostusiak of Pottstown, with a bachelor of business administration in finance degree.
- At Penn Central College, Kyle Alber of Pottstown was awarded the Linda ’78 & Todd Milano “Keep Smiling” Legacy Scholarship, by the college’s education foundation. Alber is majoring in criminal justice administration.
Named to deans’ or presidents’ lists
- At University of the Sciences in Philadelphia: Abigail Welder of Pottstown; and Sidney Bannon and Evelyn Bartholomew, both of Royersford;
- At Lehigh University: Nathaniel Yuchimiuk, Alexander Ziemba, and Emma Babula, all of Pottstown;
- At Colgate University: Jason Chapis of Royersford;
- At Emerson College: Pixie Kolesa of Royersford;
- At The Citadel: Andrew Morrisey and Tori Moran, both of Pottstown; and
- At Wilkes University, Zechariah Howard of Pottstown and Elizabeth Mellon of Royersford.