Lower Pottsgrove Trout Rodeo Returns May 15
LOWER POTTSGROVE PA – Get out your kids’ fishing gear and tackle boxes, and search the garden for worm bait. The 19th annual Lower Pottsgrove Township trout rodeo is returning May 15 (Saturday) from 8-11 a.m. to Sprogels Run near the parking lot at Sunnybrook Ballroom, 50 Sunnybrook Rd.
The contest remains free and open to the public, and is sponsored by the township and its police department. Registration for the event is being accepted now through May 7 (2021; Friday) by 4 p.m. In-person-only registration forms are available at the township building, 2199 Buchert Rd.
But, as with so many other things during the pandemic, there is a limitation that hasn’t accompanied trout rodeos of the past. To ensure social distancing, however, only 25 children – between ages 3 and 12 – can participate.
Otherwise, the rules remain much the same:
- Rodeo check-ins will start at 7:30 a.m.;
- No fishing will be allowed before 8 a.m., and only registered participants can fish;
- Participants must bring their own pole (with only one hook), tackle, bait, and net. Artificial lures are not allowed;
- Parents must accompany each child. The kids should reel in their catches themselves, but parents can help with baiting, casting, and removing fish;
- To ensure safety, no fishing will be permitted on the Sunnybrook Road side of the run; and
- There’s a limit of five trout per child.
Prizes will be offered, but they have yet to be determined.