Tradition Preserved: ‘Grove Board to Meet at Schools
Ringing Rocks Elementary School students explain their morning routine during a September 2019 meeting of the Pottsgrove school board in the school cafeteria
LOWER POTTSGROVE PA – The tradition of conducting a Pottsgrove Board of School Directors’ meeting at Pottsgrove Middle School and each of three elementary schools is planned to be upheld again during the 2021-2022 academic year, the Pottsgrove School District reported Friday (Aug. 6, 2021) in a legal advertisement published for the purpose.
Public meetings were not possible during most 2020 months of the coronavirus pandemic, and online-only gatherings were required. With public vaccination rates climbing, the board meeting list hopes to return some normalcy to district governance.
The special location meetings, all scheduled to start at 7:30 p.m., are set for Sept. 14 at West Pottsgrove Elementary School, Grosstown Road, in its gym; Oct. 12 at Ringing Rocks Elementary School, Kauffman Road, in its cafeteria; Nov. 9 at Lower Pottsgrove Elementary School, Buchert Road, in its cafeteria; and Feb. 8 (2022) at the middle school, North Hanover Street, in its cafeteria.
Elementary building principals, teachers, and students say they enjoy the board visits to their schools as opportunities to show off successful programs and projects, and demonstrate how staffs are putting board-allocated funds to good use. In years past, the middle school meeting also has served as a showcase for preview numbers from the high and middle schools’ spring musicals.
Directors equally like the change of scene, and the ability to meet and mingle with parents and teachers they may not regularly see. A few board members candidly acknowledge they also happily sample home-made treats produced by parent-teacher organization volunteers for the board snack table.
The bulk of twice-monthly meetings during the academic year will be held primarily at Pottsgrove High School, Kauffman Road, either in its cafeteria or large-group instruction (LGI) room, or in the district office adjacent to the high school.
Here’s the full list of meetings, as published in the advertisement:
- Aug. 10 (2021), 7:30 p.m., District Office (later revised to the High School, LGI Room);
- Aug. 24, 7:30 p.m., District Office (later revised to the High School, LGI Room);
- Sept. 14, 7:30 p.m., West Pottsgrove Elementary, Gym;
- Sept. 28, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- Oct. 12, 7:30 p.m., Ringing Rocks Elementary, Cafeteria;
- Oct. 26, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- Nov. 9, 7:30 p.m., Lower Pottsgrove Elementary, Cafeteria;
- Dec. 7, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room (annual reorganization and board meeting);
- Jan. 11 (2022), 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- Jan. 25, 7:30 p.m., High School, Cafeteria;
- Feb. 8, 7:30 p.m., Middle School, Cafeteria;
- Feb. 22, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- March 8, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- March 22, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- April 12, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- April 26, 7:30 p.m., High School, LGI Room;
- May 10, 7:30 p.m., District Office;
- May 24, 7:30 p.m., High School, Cafeteria;
- June 14, 7:30 p.m., District Office; and
- June 28, 7:30 p.m., District Office (tentative).