Historic Trust Re-Opens Mansion, Reveals Artifacts

DOUGLASSVILLE PA – A re-dedication of the Shelley-Pendleton Education Center, the re-opening of the George Douglass Mansion (at top), and a reveal of latest archaeological findings at the Mouns Jones House all are scheduled for Sept. 17 (Saturday) from 10 a.m. to 3 p.m. at historic Morlatton Village, 31 Old Philadelphia Pike, by the Historic Preservation Trust of Berks County.

The trust is a non-profit organization that acquires, preserves, and maintains historically and architecturally significant properties in Berks County, and educates visitors about the role these sites played in Pennsylvania and American history.

Arriving visitors will be welcomed to the mansion open house event by Mistress Mary Douglass, and trust volunteers will discuss the building’s restoration.

Additionally, Society of Pennsylvania Archaeology Chapter 21 will present its latest archaeological findings at the Mouns Jones House in the village. The house, built in 1716, is the oldest standing building in the county. Society members conducted several archaeological excavations throughout the year at the property, and have uncovered several artifacts over the years relating to the history of the structure.

For more information, call the trust at 610-385-4762 or send an e-mail to info@historicpreservationtrust.org.

Photo by The Post