“Bold Face” (at top) by Robert Seabourne, painting, 16″ x 20″
BOYERTOWN PA – “FACE,” an exhibit of artworks that explore the many definitions and uses of the word “face,” continues through April 23 (2023; Sunday) at the Studio B Fine Art Gallery, 39A E. Philadelphia Ave. Nineteen exhibiting artists received awards valued at a total of more than $1,000, gallery Director Susan Biebuyck said.
The public turnout at its recent opening “packed the house,” she added. “While we have had even greater attendance at many of our openings,” the exhibit’s debut “was the largest we’ve had since COVID. It was great being able to gather together again.”
More than 80 artists submitted works in all media for the 2023 members’ renewal exhibit. Artists came from 60 miles in all directions to offer submissions. Many artists submitted work for the first time. Others have submitted to Studio B exhibits since the gallery opened in December 2008. “Our local area is rich in artistic talent,” Biebuyck noted.
Portraits of people and animals line the gallery walls in salon-style mounting. Other artists chose to exhibit faces of flowers, mountains, buildings, fabric facing, doors, walls, and gardens.
The exhibit is sponsored by a grant offered by Suzanne Biesecker, who has supported art and culture through donations to Boyertown’s Arts & Activities Alliance before Studio B opened its doors.
Juror for the exhibit was fine artist Merrill Weber, an award-winning artist whose work is included in exhibitions and museums world-wide. Weber’s portrait “Frida” is on exhibit in “FACE,” and represents 57 other oil portraits in her collection, “Inspirational Women.”
Award winners announced
Among winners of awards for works displayed in “FACE” are:
- Best in Show, awarded to Marky Barto for “Memories;”
- Second Place, Pirjo L’Esperance, “Wind in My Hair;”
- Third Place, Bill Timmins, “Am I Blue;”
- Fourth Place, Robert Seabourne, “Boldface;” and
- Fifth Place, Alecia Miller, “This Too Shall Pass.”
Honorable Mentions were presented to:
- Anne Mitchell Reid, “Surface Designs;”
- Albert Ciervo, “Preservation Hall;”
- David Reimer, “Sanctuary;”
- Jim Meehan, “Ballpoint Daddy;”
- Marilyn Basehoar, “The Plaza;”
- Martha Ressler, “Ice Cream Day;”
- Marta Tomosy-Herman, “Sad Madonna;”
- Judy Lupas, “Broken Open;” and
- Lauralynn White, “Floral Self No. 2.”
Next at Studio B
An opening reception for an exhibit titled “Edible Woman,” an invitational group show co-curated by Kristen T. Woodward and Susan Biebuyck, is scheduled for April 28 (Friday) from 5-7 p.m., the gallery announced. Updates on participating artists are anticipated soon, it added.
Photos provided by Studio B Fine Art Gallery